Michael Nicholls

Georgia's Michael Nicholls during the Spec Towns Invitational at the Spec Towns Track in Athens, Ga., on Friday, April 6, 2018.

A number of current and future University of Georgia track and field team members are in the midst of a busy summer representing both their school and their home nations.

This summer action comes on the heels of the men’s team finishing fourth at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships in early June. It marked the program’s 10th top-four national finish since 2016, a run that includes a pair of NCAA team titles. 

Four Bulldogs who either recently finished their collegiate career or who will be back next season were in action at the North American, Central American and Caribbean Under-23 Championships in Queretaro, Mexico, from July 5 to 7.

Rising senior Jessica Drop started the action for Georgia’s competitors in the 5000 meters on Friday morning. Drop, who already earned a pair of First Team All-America certificates in the event during her career, earned herself a 2nd place finish.

Rising junior Aliyah Whisby was the other Bulldog who competed on Friday, and she had a strong showing in the long jump event. Whisby went an Olympic standard and Georgia record distance of 22 feet, 4 ½ inches, topping Keturah Orji’s mark from 2018. The jump earned Whisby first place and gave the Bulldogs a second medal at the event.

2019 senior Michael Nicholls raced in the 110m hurdles semifinal on Saturday morning as he represented his home nation of Barbados. Nicholls had a 13.77 second performance and came in third in the preliminaries. In the finals, Nicholls came in fourth at 13.59 seconds, and was one hundredth away from finishing in the top three.

Fellow 2019 senior Keenon Laine, who recently took fourth in the high jump at outdoor Nationals, is scheduled to compete at the meet on Sunday at 9:05 a.m. 

Three Bulldog signees and current distance runner and rising sophomore Nicholas Yanek combined for top-three finishes at the USATF Under-20 Championships in Miramar, Florida, from June 21 to 23. The group is also slated to compete at the Pan American Under-20 Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica, from July 18 to 21. 

Matthew Boling swept the 100m, with a time of 10.15 seconds, and led the way in the 200m as well with a time of 20.36 seconds. The National Track and Field Athletes of the Year also took third in the long jump and missed out on gold by only an inch and a quarter.

Anna Hall outscored the nearest competition in the heptathlon by more than 250 points with a tally of 5,646 points. Shelby Tyler was one of the few athletes to hit six feet in the high jump and grabbed top honors in the event. 

Yanek, who competed for UGA during the 2019 indoor season, finished second in the 10,000m after completing his 25 laps in just under 32 minutes.