20180406_GMA_Track&Field0008.jpg

The University of Georgia track and field team hosts day one of the Spec Towns Invitational Meet on a warm and sunny day in Athens, Georgia, on Friday, April 6, 2018. (Photo/Gabriella Audi)

Georgia’s track and field team continued to impress with multiple wins and career debuts on the second and final day of the Yellow Jacket Invitational. 

Freshman Elija Godwin capped off his first collegiate outdoor appearance with a win in the 100-meter with a time of 10.47 seconds. Clocking in at 10.85, good for fifth overall, was sophomore Justes Nance in the same event.

In his second event, Godwin participated in the 200m and took the victory. 

He was the only sprinter to break 21 seconds with a 20.90 time. Godwin was the top finisher out of a 28-man field of runners.

With a second attempt clearance of 5 feet, 7 inches, freshman Sakari Famous tied for the runner-up mark in the women’s high jump. Similar to Godwin, this was also Famous’ collegiate outdoor debut.

Senior Mary Terry recorded a 5-5 in the same event to secure ninth place.

The Bulldogs had another second-place finisher in the discus. Senior Hayden Merrick improved to 158-2 on her second try, which was good for third overall. 

Junior Tairyn Montgomery built up to a 149-8 on her fourth attempt to take third. The event was one of the first on the day. 

In the first meet of her sophomore season, Skyla Beal used her second shot put try to project a personal record distance of 43-1.50. The distance was good for sixth-place. 

In the 400m hurdles, fellow sophomore Chelsea Zoller went for a time of 1:03.57 while junior Makenzi Kopp scored a personal best with 1:03.91. These times ranked fifth and seventh place respectively.

The Bulldogs will look to build on their early success in Gainesville, Florida on March 28 as the outdoor season carries on.