180407_VMH_SpecTownsInvitationalMeet_0045.jpg

University of Georgia junior Denzel Comenentia, a thrower from Amsterdam, Netherlands, competes in the men's shot put at the Spec Towns Invitational Meet in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, April 7, 2018. Comenentia took first place with a throw of 19.92 meters. (Photo/Vira Halim, www.virahalim.wordpress.com

The Georgia track and field team improved on its day one performance in the 2019 SEC Outdoor Track and Field Championships with eight scorers and a qualifier on Friday.

After day two, Georgia’s men stand in second place with 34 points with Florida leading at 37. The Lady Bulldogs are in ninth with 18.5 points while Auburn, Arkansas and Missouri are the top three.

Senior Denzel Comenentia won his third consecutive shot put title, making him just the fifth SEC athlete to do so. He worked to a best distance of 65-7 on a fifth attempt toss.

“Denzel was the highlight of the day winning his third consecutive title and keeping the tradition of multiple SEC champions in a row alive for us,” head coach Petros Kyprianou said. 

Senior Keenon Laine continued to impress in the high jump as he once again cleared the seven foot mark. He finished in sixth-place with a final height of 7-1.50. His two teammates, junior Darius Carbin and sophomore Antonios Merlos, made heights of 6-11.50 and 6-9.50, respectively.

Competing in just her second collegiate heptathlon, freshman Sterling Lester accrued 5,534 points taking third-place. Lester worked for two personal records throughout the seven-event series.

Senior Michael Nicholls qualified for the 110-meter hurdle finals with a season-best time. His best performance of the year came in perfect time as he came across the line in just 13.64 seconds.

Kayla Smith also cracked the scoreboard in her junior year SEC championship. This was her first time scoring in the pole vault as she soared over 14 feet.

The sophomore Estonian Johannes Erm will only be competing in the open long jump and pole vault this weekend. Freshman Ziggy Zoller is the beneficiary to Erm sitting out the decathlon. Erm accrued a 24-10 second-attempt, qualifying him for the finals.

“I am very proud of Michael Nicholls and his seasonal best in the super fast heat that pushes him though to Saturday’s final,” Kyprianou said. “Kayla Smith continues to prove herself as a true contender in the best pole vault conference in the nation.”