190406_jca_track_18.jpg

Amber Tanner of Georgia crosses the finish line at an invitational at the Speck Towns Track on Apr. 6, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. Tanner placed first in the 800 meter race. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia track and field team saw mixed results as the final day of the 2019 SEC Outdoor Track & Field Championships came to a close on Saturday. Georgia’s men scored a total of 43 points for a ninth-place finish while LSU claimed the victory with 105. The Lady Bulldogs took 10th with 42.5 points as Arkansas won with 139.5.

Neither the men nor the women finished particularly strong. Entering the final day, the men were in second place with 34 points while the women were in ninth place with 18.5 points. 

“This was not our best meet and not a typical meet for our teams,” head coach Petros Kyprianou said. “The ‘king of the ring,’ Denzel Comenentia, won the Commissioner’s Trophy for the second time in a row, which is a tremendous accomplishment. We also had Amber [Tanner] fight for a second-place finish in the 800m.”

Senior Denzel Comenentia finished in the top-two the discus for the third time this weekend, making him the meet’s top male scorer. He threw for a final distance of 192-1.

Comenentia finished as the runner-up in the discus and scored 26 points overall. His performance earned the Commissioner’s Trophy, his second consecutive time with the honors.

Junior Amber Tanner competed in the 800 meters and managed a runner-up finish, an improvement on her 10th place prelim run. Amber was also the anchor for the women’s 4x400m relay that took seventh.

Mady Fagan left her mark on the high jump in her senior SEC meet. She cleared a height of 5 feet, 10.50 inches en route to a fifth place finish. This performance was especially rewarding for her after missing the last outdoor season with a knee injury.

Senior Michael Nicholls took eighth place in the 110m hurdles. He ran a 13.81, putting him in the final scorer’s position.

In the discus, senior Hayden Merrick added to the Bulldog scoring total with a fifth-place finish. She threw for a 168-6 final mark.

“Overall, we have some work to do,” Kyprianou said. “I am still very proud of the effort from all of our competitors at this meet and they, just like me, want to keep improving as this postseason continues and into the next year.”

The Bulldogs will compete in the NCAA East Prelims from May 23-25 in Jacksonville, Florida.