Denzel Comenentia- Georgia Invitational

Georgia's Denzel Comenentia in the hammer event during the Georgia Invitational at the Spec Towns Track facility on Saturday, April 30, 2016 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo courtesy of John Kelley/UGA Sports Comm)

Georgia track and field had a successful start to the 2019 SEC Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas on Thursday. On day one of the competition, Denzel Comenentia and Marie-Therese Obst finished in the top-three in their respective events to give Georgia one silver medal and one bronze medal. 

“Our student-athletes competed hard in some non-favorable conditions, and I am pleased with the effort and the number of scorers and the ones in position to score,” head coach Petros Kyprianou said. 

Comenentia, a senior, secured his third consecutive top-two finish in the hammer throw on Thursday. He earned second place with a toss of 234 feet, 6 inches on his fifth attempt. Comenentia completed his SEC career with four top-five finishes in the hammer throw. 

Obst earned a bronze medal in javelin with a mark of 167-10 on her fourth try. 

“I’m proud of Marie in the javelin for fighting until the end and showing consistency," Kyprianou said. 

Amber Tanner qualified for the finals in her junior season. She competed in the 800-meter, cruising to a 2 minute, 6.57 second finish. Tanner won her heat and was fourth overall in the event.

Freshman Karel Tilga accumulated a day one career best of 4,087 points, taking an 18-point lead after five of the 10 decathlon events. Fellow freshman Ziggy Zoller scored 3,596 in the first decathlon in his life.

Tilga recorded his fourth personal best of the meet in the 400m with a time of 49.58, taking third. Zoller finished with a 50.29 for fifth.

Freshman Sterling Lester began and ended the day with wins on the track in her first SEC champions meet. She is in second place with 3,332 points after the heptathlon day one.

The Bulldogs resume action Friday, highlighted by senior Michael Nicholls in the 110m hurdle prelims at 7 p.m.

“Friday and Saturday we have some fun events for us and we have to come back and battle as we move on into this postseason,” Kyprianou said.