180407_VMH_SpecTownsInvitationalMeet_0043.jpg

University of Georgia junior Denzel Comenentia, a thrower from Amsterdam, Netherlands, competes in the men's shot put at the Spec Towns Invitational Meet in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, April 7, 2018. Comenentia took first place with a throw of 19.92 meters. (Photo/Vira Halim, www.virahalim.wordpress.com) Comenentia: denzel.comenentia25@uga.edu UGA track and field SID Leland Barrow: leland@sports.uga.edu

The Georgia track and field program made the trip to Austin, Texas, to compete in the NCAA Outdoor Championships from Wednesday through Saturday.

“Our young men and women are excited to enter the gates of the ‘postseason heaven,’ as in the NCAA finals site!” head coach Petros Kyprianou said. “We are young but hungry and in pursuit of greatness at the highest level possible at this meet and in our sport.”

The No. 13 ranked men’s team looks to defend the outdoor championship it earned in 2018, while the No. 23 ranked women’s team looks to finally take home the trophy after leaving as the runner-up the past two years.

“We have been searching for consistency and it seems we have gotten much better while in the postseason,” Kyprianou said. “This is the championship season, the meet for the ‘thoroughbred’ athletes who don’t crumble in high level competition, the meet for the athletes who dare to be great in the heat, literally and figuratively, of the battle.”

Sophomore decathlete Johannes Erm and freshman heptathlete Sterling Lester both qualified thanks to earlier scores this year. Alongside those two, 10 other Bulldogs qualified for a combined 12 events at the NCAA East Prelims in late May.

Of those 10, Senior Denzel Comenentia looks to bring a perfect end to his illustrious Georgia career. At the NCAA East Prelims, Comenentia became the first male Bulldog to qualify for three separate events (discus, shot put, hammer throw) at the NCAA Championships.

Last month, the Amsterdam native earned the Southeastern Conference Commissioner’s Trophy for being the top men’s scorer for the second year in a row at the SEC Championships.

The two-time NCAA champion and 10-time first team All-American will try to help the Bulldog men’s team to finish in the top 10 for the third time in a row.