181221_RAC_LadyDawgsVSGSU-38.jpg

Number 0 Taja Cole dribbles the ball down the court. The University of Georgia Lady Dawgs women’s basketball team defeated Georgia Southern 81-38 on December 21, 2018 in Stegeman Coliseum. (Photo/Ryan Cameron rac86114@uga.edu)

The Georgia women’s basketball team fell to Arkansas 86-76 in the first round of the SEC Tournament on Thursday.

Georgia bested the Razorbacks twice during the regular season, however, the Bulldogs had no answer for the Arkansas attack. The Razorbacks continually pushed the floor to attack the basket with guard Chelsea Dungee, who finished with 23 points.

This is the first time since the 2015-2016 season Georgia has been bounced in the first round of the SEC Tournament. In that year, the Bulldogs fell to Vanderbilt 49-54 in overtime.

"It is really unfortunate our season is ending today, but I am super proud of our team for what they have done and the resiliency they have had all year long with injury and battling through things like that," Georgia head coach Joni Taylor said.

Georgia and Arkansas traded baskets in the high-scoring opening quarter of the first round of the SEC Tournament. The Bulldogs had a hard time containing Dungee who had eight points in the first quarter. The point guard slashed her way into the paint and made some impressive shots to give Arkansas a 25-20 lead into the second.

After picking up her second personal foul early in the second quarter, Georgia senior Caliya Robinson sat out most of the half. She was replaced by Jenna Staiti, who struggled to deal with the fast paced Arkansas offense. She had a hard time switching on to the smaller guards, and running the floor to cover on the defensive end. However, she made her presence felt on the offensive end, where she had four points.

The Razorbacks’ Dungee could not be stopped on the offensive end during the first half. She had 15 points, and continually made drives to the basket. Before Robinson was benched, she was carrying the scoring load with 11 points.

In the third quarter, Georgia tried to mount a comeback but Arkansas maintained at least a ten-point lead through the quarter. Dungee had another strong quarter as she poured in eight points. Georgia could not find an answer to stopping the Arkansas attack.

The fourth quarter was more of the same, sealing the end of Georgia's season.