Lady Bulldogs versus Furman Paladins

Lady Bulldogs forward Mackenzie Engram (33) fights for an offensive rebound against Furman guard Cierra Carter (24) at Stegeman Coliseum, in Athens Ga., on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015. (randy.drum.schafer@gmail.com) ©2015 Randy Schafer

After trailing for most of the game, the Georgia women’s basketball team lost its first game of the season. Georgia Tech beat the Bulldogs 52-45 on Sunday at McCamish Pavilion for the first time since 2010.

Georgia (3-1) took its first lead of the game after a junior forward Mackenzie Engram jumper midway through the third quarter. From that point on, the game was back-and-forth until the Yellow Jackets (4-0) took a 43-41 lead late in the fourth quarter.

Senior guard Shanea Armbrister then drove for a lay-up to tie the game with 7:17 left in the quarter, but Georgia was only able to score two more points the rest of the way, which came off free throws from redshirt senior forward Pachis Roberts.

The Bulldogs were held scoreless for the last 6:44 of the game.

Caliya Robinson led the team in scoring for the second time this season with 15 points and recorded a double-double after tallying 10 rebounds as well. She did, however, have nine turnovers in her 25 minutes played.

Of most concern for Georgia was its season-high 27 turnovers, amounting to 25 points for Georgia Tech. Georgia was able to out-rebound Georgia Tech 42-33, though, and had 17 points off the bench.

The Bulldogs now head to Bimini, Bahamas, to play Minnesota in the opening game of the 2016 Junkanoo Jam on Thursday.