161205_ATS_WomensBasketball_Furman_0001.jpg

Georgia Head Coach Joni Taylor yells at her players from the sidelines during the Georgia Women basketball game against Furman in Athens, Georgia, Monday, December 5, 2016. (Photo/Austin Steele, info@asteelephoto.us)

The Georgia women's basketball team lost to Virginia 66-43 on Monday night at Stegeman Coliseum after struggling to keep possession of the ball.

This loss brings the Bulldogs’ (7-4) home non-conference victory streak of 61 games to an end. It was the longest active streak in the NCAA, dating back almost eight years to Dec. 30, 2008.

“After we closed the gap, we turned it over too many times in a row and you just can’t do that against really good teams,” head coach Joni Taylor said. “They’re going to capitalize on that, which they did.”

Junior forward Mackenzie Engram led the team with 18 points after going 8-for-15 from the field.

Sophomore forward Caliya Robinson nearly earned a double-double, but finished one rebound shy. She posted 10 points for the team and tallied nine boards on the night.

Georgia didn't start well as Virginia (8-2) went on a 14-1 run. Georgia didn't score its first point until the 5:09 mark of the first quarter when junior guard Simone Costa made one of her two free throw attempts. From there, Georgia closed the gap and went into the second quarter trailing 19-10.

Engram’s eight points in the second quarter and senior forward Halle Washington’s five points helped Georgia close the gap further as the team went into the half down by eight points, 32-24.

10 turnovers over the next two quarters set the Bulldogs behind as Virginia continued to build its lead. The Cavaliers built a double-digit advantage with 6:47 left in the third quarter and never led by less than 10 points the rest of the way.

“Every time we would make a run and try to close that gap, they would extend the lead and we would turn it over,” Taylor said. “They came in here with a game plan and executed it very well. It was a tough night for us.”