190412_GMA_WomensGolf0004.jpg

Georgia golfer Jenny Bae sprints marks her ball at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic on Friday, April 12, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. Georgia women’s golf went into Friday as the No. 7 seed for match play after tying Ole Miss for sixth place on Thursday. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

In Thursday’s second round of the SEC Women’s Golf Championships, the Georgia Bulldogs fired a 2-under 286 to go into the final round of stroke play at 3-over 579, good for fourth place. Freshman Jo Hua Hung led the way after posting a 3-under 69.

“We’ve played two really good days of golf, with 10 solid rounds and a couple of special rounds in there,” head coach Josh Brewer said. “They continue to follow a game plan we came up with before coming over here. It’s nice seeing them rewarded and being patient.”

To add to Hung’s performance, senior Rinko Mitsunaga posted a 71 and a pair of 73s were added from freshman Jenny Bae and Harmie Constantino.

“To be honest, I’m not surprised,” Mitsunaga said. “Everyone has been working really hard and it’s about time it finally shows. All the little drills that we always do, I think the payoff is showing. Everyone’s game is solid. The fact that we have to drop a 75 on this golf course is awesome.”

Altogether, Hung is tied for fourth at 2-under 142, five strokes behind the individual leader Marta Perez SanMartin of Florida. Mitsunaga and Gabriela Coello are both tied for 21st at 146. Constantino is tied for 27th at 147 and Bae is tied for 38th at 149.

“Jo had a really good round of golf,” Brewer said. “I think it goes back to Gaby’s 1-under yesterday. I think it kind of showed them it’s out there, you can go shoot 2- or 3-under and don’t settle for being 1-under. Rinko had a very solid round. She’s been battling all spring, and it was good to see her rewarded.”

The Florida Gators rank atop of the team leaderboard and the Bulldogs are 12 strokes behind.

All 14 teams will play another round of stroke play on Friday. After that, the top-eight teams will advance to a match play bracket to determine an SEC champion.