Jenny Bae and Jo Hua Hung

Georgia golfers Jenny Bae and Jo Hua Hung during the final day of the Liz Murphey Fall Collegiate Classic at the UGA Golf Course in Athens, Ga., on Nov. 8, 2020. (Photo by Chamberlain Smith/UGA Athletics) 

The Georgia women’s golf season opened on Monday in the Cougar Classic in Charleston, South Carolina.

The team had the best single round score in school history on Monday as they shot 14-under 274 in the second round. They finished 16-under on the day and held a five shot lead over the competition at the end of the day.

“We know you’re not going to shoot 14-under every day,” said head coach Josh Brewer. “We knew we had the firepower to play like this and now we’ve done it. It’s a tell-tale sign of the depth we have.”

Jenny Bae, Caroline Craig and Isabella Holpfer all shot 4-under 68s on Monday while Caterina Don shot 2-under 70.

Arkansas, who shot 565 on the day, ended trailing Georgia by five shots. Behind the Razorbacks in the top five were Florida, UCF and Baylor.

As the tournament continued on Tuesday, Arkansas quickly erased the lead the Bulldogs had as they shot a combined 6-under on holes nine and ten to jump the Bulldogs for first place.

Georgia shot 4-over 292 on Tuesday as they ended the tournament at 12-under 852 and finished in fourth place. The Bulldogs’ performance tied them with the 2015 team for the third-best 54-hole tournament score in program history. The 2015 Bulldog’s shot an 852 in the Windy City Collegiate.

Craig and Jo Hua Hung led Georgia with even-par 72s on Tuesday. Jenny Bae posted a 73 while Isabella Holpfer and Caterina Don shot a 75 and 76, respectively.

Brooke Matthews took home medalist honors for Arkansas as she shot 25-under, which was 13 shots better than Krista Junkkari, who finished in second for North Carolina.

“It was a very good start to the year and all we can do is build on it,” Brewer said. “If you would have told me before we got here that we would shoot 12-under and not tell me how that 12-under played out, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.”

Georgia has a quick turnaround as they will participate in the Mason Rudolph Championship at the Vanderbilt Legends Club in Franklin, Tennessee on September 24th.