190505_jca_tennis_17.jpg

Marta Gonzalez, a junior from Madrid, Spain, returns a shot during doubles play at a NCAA tournament match against Wake Forest University on May 5, 2019 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia. Georgia defeated Wake Forest 4-0 to progress to the round of 16. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia women’s tennis team advanced to the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament after a 4-2 win over the Michigan Wolverines on Saturday in Athens.

This is the second quarterfinals appearance in as many years for the Bulldogs as they move on to the next stage of the tournament in Orlando.

The clinch for the match came on court two where Marta Gonzalez won 7-5, 7-5 over Giulia Pairone to seal the win for the Bulldogs.

Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace credited the environment provided by the home crowd for helping the team get the win.

“The atmosphere here was just incredible,” Wallace said. “The fact that this was the last match of the year here at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex, that's always emotional and sad for us because it's such a great place to play.”

The Bulldogs got off to a slow start, dropping their first doubles point in 14 matches to head into singles play down 1-0.

Georgia then tied things up at one apiece when Elena Christofi won 6-0, 6-3 over Alyvia Jones on court five. It was the eleventh consecutive victory for the junior from Athens, Greece.

The Bulldogs then grabbed their first lead of the day when Lourdes Carle won 6-3, 6-3 on court three.

The team then padded their lead when Meg Kowalski, the SEC Freshman of the Year, won 6-2, 7-6 on court six to improve her record to 23-1 on the year before Gonzalez sealed the clinch. Kowalski is now 3-0 in the tournament.

The only point Georgia dropped on the day was on court one, where Katarina Jokic lost 6-0, 6-4 to Kate Fahey. The match was a rematch of the 2018 ITA Fall National Championship that saw Jokic defeat Fahey.

The Bulldogs will next play on May 17 in Orlando against Vanderbilt in the quarterfinals.