WTennisMegKowalski

Georgia's Meg Kowalski during a women's tennis match against Ole Miss in Athens, Ga., on Friday, Mar. 22, 2019. (Photo by Kristin M. Bradshaw)

No. 1 Georgia showed no weaknesses in its 4-0 win over No. 22 Wake Forest on Sunday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The win marks the Bulldogs' second straight 4-0 victory in the tournament.  

“I expected it to be a lot longer than [the match was] yesterday,” head coach Jeff Wallace said. “We were ready for the challenge and I thought our players did a good job of closing this thing out.”

Georgia’s third-straight SEC Freshman of the Year, No. 122-ranked Meg Kowalski, clinched the match with the fourth point. Meg won the first set 6-3, then found herself down 0-3 in the second set before coming back to win 7-5 against Peyton Pesavento.

When asked what she changed midway through the second set to take the match, Kowalski said, “I think that I played the point a little longer, I didn’t rush it as much. When I was down 0-3, I just needed to put more balls in play instead of rushing it.”

The first point of the match was clinched when Vivian Wolff and Elena Christofi defeated Eliza Omirou and MC Meredith 6-4 on court two, extending their record to a perfect 15-0 on the season.

On court one, No. 28-ranked duo Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle defeated Emma Davis and Chandler Carter 6-4, making it their fourth-straight ranked duo win.

"We’re pretty confident right now,” Jokic said. 

Carle also excelled in singles play on Sunday. The No. 69-ranked player captured the first singles point of the day on court three when she defeated Eliza Omirou 6-1, 6-3. This win brings her singles record to 22-6 on the season.

On court two, the third point of the match was won shortly after, when Marta Gonzalez defeated Anna Ulyashchenko 6-3, 7-5. The second set didn’t come easy, but Gonzalez won four out of the last five games to take the match. Gonzalez is now 22-11 on the season.

This win clinched Georgia’s ninth consecutive trip to the Round of 16 in the NCAA tournament, and improves its all-time record in the tournament to 81-30.

In the Round of 16 next Saturday in Athens, Georgia will face No. 16-ranked Michigan. Like Georgia, Michigan is coming off 4-0 victories in both rounds.