190505_jca_tennis_35.jpg

Meg Kowalski, a freshman from Chicago, Illinois, dips to return the ball during singles play against Wake Forest University on May 5, 2019 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia. Georgia defeated Wake Forest 4-0 to progress to the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The No. 1-ranked Georgia women’s tennis team advanced to the NCAA championship with a 4-2 victory over No. 5 Duke on Saturday night in Orlando, Florida.

This marks Georgia's first appearance in the NCAA championship since 2000 and the fourth appearance in program history. The win over Duke brings Georgia’s overall record to 28-1, a new program record for the number of wins in a single season.

The fourth and final point of the match came on court six when Meg Kowalski defeated Margaryta Bilokin 7-5, 5-7, 6-4. The win brought her record to 25-1 for her freshman campaign.

The Bulldogs won their 22-of-28 doubles point of the season to start the match with a 1-0 lead.

“Doubles went great today," Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace said. "I was really impressed with how we got off to a fast start … to get that point.”

On court one, Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle defeated Kelly Chen and Ellyse Hamlin 6-2, with the court two duo of Elena Christofi and Vivian Wolff outlasting Meible Chi and Kaitlyn McCarthy 6-4.

On court one, No. 2 Jokic won her match against No. 11 Maria Mateas 6-0, 6-4, to grab the second point of the contest. This is Jokic’s 16th-ranked win of the season, improving her record to 21-5 on the season.

No. 72 Vivian Wolff defeated Kaitlyn McCarthy 6-3, 7-6 (8) to grab the third point of the match. Vivian improved her record to 32-3 on the season, including 20 straight wins.

The fourth point could have also been earned by No. 19 Marta Gonzalez, who was in the third set against No. 33 Meible Chi. The score to the unfinished match was 1-6, 7-6 (7), 5-5.

Next for Georgia is a match against the third-ranked Stanford Cardinal on Sunday at 5 p.m. The Cardinal happens to be the same opponent Georgia faced in each of its previous three NCAA championship appearances.

Stanford is the defending national champions, but Georgia outlasted the Cardinal earlier this year in the ITA National Team Indoors.