190414_jca_tennis_08.jpg

Katarina Jokic, a sophomore from Novi Grad, Bosnia, returns during the last regular season match against Vanderbilt University on Apr. 14, 2019 at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Tennis Courts in Athens, Georgia. Georgia defeated Vanderbilt 4-1. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

No. 1 seed Georgia ended its 23-game winning streak with a 4-3 loss to No. 2 seed South Carolina in the SEC Tournament Final.

“We’ve had an epic year, and we’ve been in a lot of battles like this and we’ve found ways to get through it and get it done, but we just didn’t this time,” Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace said. “South Carolina had a lot to do with that. At the same time, I think our players learned a lot about what transpired today. Our big challenge will be applying those things.”

Georgia had a rough start in singles play, losing the first four sets in close battles. Five of the six singles courts ended in straight sets, leaving No. 1 Katarina Jokic’s match as the deciding set.

After losing the first set, Jokic tied the game up after winning the second set. Jokic’s serve on deuce point secured Georgia’s loss.

No. 19 Marta Gonzalez lost 6-3, 6-0 while Lourdes Carle lost 7-6 (3), 6-3.

Freshman Meg Kowalski broke her perfect record after losing 6-4, 6-3. This dropped her record to 20-1 for the season.

Junior Elena Christofi and sophomore Vivian Wolff secured Georgia’s only two singles wins on the day. Christofi came out winning 6-3, 7-5 while Wolff won 7-6 (4), 7-5.

On the other hand, Georgia came out winning in doubles play earlier in the day.

Carle and Jokic won two games in a row and then won the last two games after it was tied at 5-all.

Ranked No. 76 in ITA doubles, Christofi and Wolff won 6-4, improving this duo’s overall score to 14-0.

“We played great doubles all weekend as we got all three doubles points,” Wallace said. “I think what we take away from this is how much we’ve learned, and what we need to apply moving forward to the NCAA Tournament.”

Georgia, now 23-1, will play next in the NCAA Tournament in two weeks. The NCAA selection show is scheduled for next Sunday, April 30th at 6 p.m. ET.