190125_jca_wtennis_21.jpg

University of Georgia women’s tennis head coach Jeff Wallace looks as doubles matches are played at a tournament against the University of South Florida on Jan. 25, 2019 at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Tennis Courts in Athens, Georgia. The tournament was the first of two in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association kick-off weekend. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia women's tennis team added the the nation’s No. 3 recruit, Lea Ma, to its 2019-20 roster on Monday.

Ma, a native of Dix Hills, NY, and a recent graduate of the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, is scheduled to join the team this upcoming season. The blue-chip recruit also ranks No. 29 in the International Tennis Federation Juniors. 

Ma has a resume of international and domestic competitions. She has competed for singles and doubles in the Roland Garros Junior Championships, French Open Juniors, Adidas Easter Bowl, the U.S Open, Wimbledon and the Australian Open. She has also competed for the United States in Buenos Aires, Argentina for the Youth Olympic Games.

"She has had an outstanding junior career and we are all looking forward to getting her on campus," head coach Jeff Wallace said. "She is going to be a huge addition. She brings international experience and is well traveled and well trained.”

Assistant head coach Drake Bernstein is also looking forward to adding Ma to the 2019-20 roster.

“She has steadily improved over the past few years and we feel like her best tennis is still in front of her.” Bernstein said.

This past season, the women’s tennis team was the regular season Southeastern Conference Champion as well as NCAA Indoor Champions. Ma is a highly-rated player joining a team with proven championship pedigree.