190125_jca_wtennis_21.jpg

University of Georgia women’s tennis head coach Jeff Wallace looks as doubles matches are played at a tournament against the University of South Florida on Jan. 25, 2019 at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Tennis Courts in Athens, Georgia. The tournament was the first of two in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association kick-off weekend. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia women’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the SEC tournament after a 4-0 win over LSU on Friday in College Station, Texas.

The Bulldogs fought through extremely windy conditions to put their record at 22-0 on the season, tying a program record for consecutive wins that was set in 2002.

“It is exciting for the 22 straight wins,” head coach Jeff Wallace said. “We are also very excited for the opportunity tomorrow to play more tennis.”

The clinch for Georgia came from freshman Meg Kowalski. The no. 96 ranked player in the nation extended her singles record to 20-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Anna Loughlan.

“Meg was just fighting the whole time and got it done,” Wallace said. “Everybody else was just in a battle out here. It was a great match in some tough conditions with the wind, but it was good to see that we handled it well.”

On court four, Vivian Wolff extended her winning streak to 16 matches with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Paris Corley of the Tigers.

Wolff’s doubles partner Elena Christofi won her match 6-1, 6-2 to round out the singles scoring for the Bulldogs and earn her eighth-straight win.

“Today was really windy, so that was the toughest part,” Christofi said. “B ut coach [Wallace] said that we just need to stay tough and keeping fighting, especially on those days, because you never know if you have to win ugly.”

In doubles, Georgia won its 17th point in 21 tries after wins by the pairings of Kowalski and Marta Gonzalez, and Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle.

The win is the second this season for the Bulldogs over the Tigers after a 4-2 win over them on March 8 in Athens. Georgia is now 7-0 against LSU in the conference tournament.

Next up in the tournament for the Bulldogs is host-school Texas A&M. The fifth-seeded Aggies upset Tennessee 4-2 on Friday. The two schools have already faced off once this season, a 4-0 win for Georgia on March 10 in Athens.