Harang Lee

Georgia’s Harang Lee hits the ball during the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic at the UGA Golf Course on Saturday, April 2, 2016, in Athens, Ga. (Photo by David Barnes/UGA Sports Comm)

Former Georgia golfer Harang Lee earned conditional status for the 2018 LPGA Tour last weekend by tying for 45th place in the final stage of Q School at the LPGA International Courses in Daytona, Florida.

Lee, a native of Castro Uridales, Spain, who was a two-time All-American for the Georgia Bulldogs before graduating last spring, covered the 90-hole event at 2-over 362.

“It’s something that I’ve always wanted,” Lee said. “It wasn’t exactly the week I wanted to have because I made some mistakes and didn’t get full status.”

The top-20 finishers in the 166-player event earned full status for the 2018 LPGA Tour. Golfers finishing 21st-45th place received conditional status for next year’s Tour. Those with conditional status earn spots in LPGA Tour events with larger fields.

LPGA status is reshuffled twice during the season, giving conditional players who perform well the opportunity to upgrade to full status.

When she is not competing in LPGA tournaments next year, Lee will play on the Symetra Futures Tour.

“I’m really happy for Harang to achieve conditional status and be a member of the LPGA,” Georgia women’s golf head coach Josh Brewer said. “She came here to Georgia because she wanted to play the Tour, and now she gets that opportunity. Whether she’s playing in tournaments on the LPGA or Symetra Tour next year, Harang will be competing against the best players in the world. I’m very confident she will have great success.”

Lee opened the tournament with a 1-over 73 that put her in a tie for 45th place. After falling to 88th place going into the third round, she reached 53rd place going into the final round after a pair of even-par 72s in the third and fourth rounds.

“I knew going into the final round I needed a low round to get full status,” Lee said. “I was hitting it close and had some great chances, but it seemed like I wasn’t able to make any of them.”

Lee made a 40-foot birdie putt on the final hole of the fifth round to gain her conditional status for next year’s Tour.

“I didn’t know it made the difference at the time,” Lee said. “I didn’t know for sure until later.”

Lee earned All-America and first-team All-SEC recognition for the second consecutive year last spring to close out her collegiate career at Georgia. She competed in 43 events for the Bulldogs from 2013-2017, earning 13 top-10 and 21 top-20 individual finishes.

Lee advanced through three stages of LPGA qualifiers to earn her conditional status. She tied for eighth place in the first stage Aug. 24-27 in Rancho Mirage, California, and tied for 11th place at the second stage Oct. 19-22 in Venice, Florida.

Lee is the 18th Georgia golfer to earn playing status on the LPGA Tour.