190412_GMA_WomensGolf0003.jpg

Georgia golfer Jenny Bae chips the ball at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic on Friday, April 12, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. Georgia women’s golf went into Friday as the No. 7 seed for match play after tying Ole Miss for sixth place on Thursday. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The Georgia women’s golf team posted a 303 in the final round of stroke play qualifying at Greystone Golf and Country Club on Friday. The Bulldogs earned the No. 5 seed in the match play bracket.

“All we wanted was a tee time Saturday morning,” head coach Josh Brewer said. “Now, our next goal is to get a tee time on Saturday afternoon.”

The Bulldogs tied for fifth with No. 14 Auburn on the leaderboard after finishing 54 holes of competition at 862. Freshman Jenny Bae led Georgia with a 2-over 74 in the third round. The Bulldogs also counted a pair of 76s from junior Gabriela Coello and freshman Jo Hua Hung and a 77 by freshman Harmie Constantino.

“I wasn’t sidetracked by anything,” Bae said. “I just focused on where I was supposed to hit the ball, my targets and where I was supposed to drop the ball on the green so I would have a better lie and have the best chance to make birdies. That’s all I thought about, and I just went at my pace.”

On the overall individual leaderboard, Hung tied for 12th at 2-over 218, Coello tied for 25th at 222, Bae tied for 29th at 223, Constantino tied for 34th at 224 and senior Rinko Mitsunaga tied for 47th at 227.

“We were probably a little nervous, anxious, but we responded really well,” Brewer said. “It’s golf. It’s never easy. If you’re trying to win a title, yeah, you’d like perfect conditions and everything to be ideal, but it’s not that way.”

After Auburn’s final golfer missed a birdie opportunity, Hung sealed the fifth seed after hitting her third shot on the par-5, 459-yard No. 18.

“It’s neat to see them play their best golf at this time of year,” Brewer said. “I think hosting the Liz Murphey and winning a couple of matches will really help us tomorrow. We’re excited. We feel like, as the tiebreaker showed, that we’re as good one through five as anyone here. We look forward to a great challenge tomorrow.”

The Bulldogs will take on No. 4 Vanderbilt on Saturday morning in the SEC quarterfinals. The winner of that match will face either No. 12 Florida, the top seed, or Ole Miss in Saturday afternoon’s semifinals.