190316_rmw_gymdogs_034.jpg

Georgia head coach Courtney Kupets-Carter rallies up the gymnasts during a meet against Utah at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, March 16, 2019. The Georgia GymDogs defeated the Utah Red Rocks 197.525 to 197.450. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

The Georgia gymnastics team earned a No. 2 seed for its home NCAA Athens Regional in Stegeman Coliseum, the NCAA revealed Monday.

The nationally-ranked No. 8 GymDogs compete in the afternoon session of the second round at 2 p.m. on Friday, April 5, with No. 9 Kentucky, No. 19 Missouri and No. 22 Iowa State.

Georgia faced all three of its regional competitors throughout the regular season and boasts a 3-0 record against them. The GymDogs hosted Iowa State back on Jan. 21, earning a decisive 197-195.9 victory. On Feb. 8, Georgia traveled to Missouri and won 196.3-195.9. Georgia narrowly defeated Kentucky 197.3-197.225 on Feb. 15 at home.

Georgia also saw Kentucky and Missouri at last weekend’s SEC Gymnastics Championship in New Orleans, where both teams suffered weak performances and placed in the bottom two of the conference.

Kentucky entered the SEC championship seeded at No. 4 but finished No. 7 overall with a 196.225 final score, while Missouri’s 195.9 placed last in the conference. Georgia also fell from its original seeding at SECs, coming in seeded at No. 3 and leaving at No. 4 after scoring 197.

In the Big 12 Gymnastics Championship Saturday, Iowa State earned third place of four teams competing and posted a 195.95.

During the Athens regional’s second round evening session at 7 p.m. April 5, No. 1 Oklahoma, No. 16 California and No. 28 Maryland face the winner of a dual meet against No. 31 North Carolina State and No. 34 New Hampshire. North Carolina State and New Hampshire’s play-in regional will be held on Thursday, April 4, at 3 p.m.

The two top scoring teams from both the afternoon and evening Friday sessions advance to the NCAA Regional Final Saturday, April 6, at 7 p.m. in Stegeman Coliseum. The top two teams from that final go on to NCAA Championships in Fort Worth, Texas, from April 19-20.