190316_rmw_gymdogs_130.jpg

GymDog Rachel Dickson competes on floor during a meet at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, March 16, 2019. The Georgia GymDogs defeated the Utah Red Rocks 197.525 to 197.450. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

NEW ORLEANS — The Georgia gymnastics team came into the 2019 SEC Gymnastics Championship seeded No. 3 out of eight teams but found itself in fourth place with a score of 197 at the conclusion of Saturday night’s meet. The GymDogs fell below Alabama, which was seeded No. 5.

“The team really pushed for every tenth tonight,” head coach Courtney Kupets Carter said. “You want to give it everything you have. This team never quit.”

The GymDogs tied their seventh lowest score of the season out of 13 meets. They earned only three scores of 9.9 or higher prior to their bars rotation, where they earned four.

Georgia's final rotation, bars, ended up being its highest score of the night. The GymDogs earned a 49.475, tying their highest bars score this season, which was earned against Arkansas at the beginning of February.

Freshmen Megan Roberts and Alexa Al-Hameed, junior Rachel Dickson and sophomore Marissa Oakley all earned 9.9s on the Bars. Roberts earned a career high, beating her previous high of 9.875.

“Although we didn't start as strong as we could have, we really held together and made every tenth count - especially coming back on bars,” Dickson said.

Due to the four-team, podium style of Saturday’s meet, Georgia did not compete in Olympic order. Instead, the GymDogs began the meet on beam. Despite feeling confident about the event after Friday’s practice, the GymDogs fell flat on Saturday night.

They earned a 49.05, which tied for their second-lowest beam score this season. Their first 49.05 was earned against Kentucky in med-February. Their lowest beam score this season was a 48.25 earned in their second meet this season at Oklahoma.

The highest score on beam Saturday came from Dickson, who earned a season-high 9.9. Prior to Saturday, Dickson’s season high was a 9.875, which she earned against Iowa State, Arkansas, Utah and at Elevate the Stage.

Dickson continued to lead the team on floor, earning their only score higher than 9.9. Dickson earned a 9.925, while the next highest score was a 9.875 from freshman Rachael Lukacs. The GymDogs earned a 49.3 on floor, which left them in second place after two rotations.

On vault, the event on which the GymDogs are ranked No. 3 in the nation, the team fell flat once again. Senior Sydney Snead earned the team’s highest score with a 9.9, while Rachel Dickson lost her momentum. Dickson earned only a 9.575 after an out of control landing. The team earned a 49.175, tying their score from two weeks ago against Arkansas.

LSU earned the SEC title with a 197.9. Florida came in second with a 197.75, followed by Alabama with a 197.35. Arkansas finished in fifth place after the GymDogs, with a 196.475, followed by Auburn with a 196.375, Kentucky with a 196.225 and Missouri in eighth place with a 195.9.