190316_rmw_gymdogs_044 copy.jpg

GymDog Rachael Lukacs sticks the landing during a meet against Utah at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, March 16, 2019. The Georgia GymDogs defeated the Utah Red Rocks 197.525 to 197.450. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

The Georgia gymnastics team earned first place on the second day of the NCAA Athens Regional with a score of 197.300. They were followed by Kentucky with a 196.850, Missouri with a 196.625 and Iowa State with a 196.250. With the win, the GymDogs have earned themselves a spot in the NCAA Athens Regional final.

Georgia started the night by earning its highest vault score of the season of a 49.500. The team is currently ranked fourth nationally in the event, and the GymDogs' highest previous score was a 49.475 against Utah on March 16.

Senior Sydney Snead and freshman Rachael Lukacs led the GymDogs, each earning a 9.95 and tying their career highs. Junior Sabrina Vega and freshman Abbey Ward also each tied their career highs, earning a 9.9 and 9.85 respectively.

Junior Rachel Dickson, who stumbled on her vault landing at the SEC championship two weeks ago, earned her third-lowest score of the season tonight due to another imperfect landing.

On bars, freshman Alexa Al-Hameed led the team with their only 9.9 on the event. The score marked Al-Hameed’s second 9.9 in a row. The GymDogs earned a season-high bars score of 49.475 at the SEC championship but did not deliver that same high score tonight.

The GymDogs only posted a 49.25 on bars, their lowest score since March 1 at LSU. After Al-Hameed, the next highest score came from sophomore Marissa Oakley, who earned a 9.875. Lukacs earned a 9.775, tying the score she earned at the SEC Championship.

Snead earned her third lowest bars score of the season with a 9.8 due to taking a few extra steps on her landing.

On the beam, the GymDogs earned a 49.225. Vega led the team with a 9.925, followed by Oakley with a 9.875. Freshman Mikayla Magee both fell during her routine and stumbled on her dismount, resulting in a season-low 9.225. As a team, the GymDogs earned .2 higher than they did at the SEC championship.

Georgia earned a 49.325 on floor. Vega led the team with a 9.975, tying her career high and earning a perfect 10 from two of four judges. Lukacs earned the second-highest score, a 9.925, which also tied her career high.

At 7 p.m. Friday, Oklahoma, No. 16 California, Maryland and North Carolina State will take the floor in Stegeman Coliseum for the evening session. The top two teams from the evening meet will meet Georgia and Kentucky on Saturday at 7 p.m. for the final meet of the NCAA Athens Regional in Stegeman Coliseum.