190406_rmw_gym_011 copy.jpg

GymDog Sydney Snead competes on floor during the NCAA Athens Regional at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, April 6, 2019. The GymDogs came in second place with a score of 198.050 and will advance to the NCAA Women’s Gymnastics Championships in Fort Worth, Texas. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

The Georgia gymnastics team completed its season Friday night in Fort Worth, Texas, where it placed last in the first round of the NCAA National Championship. The GymDogs received a score of 196.4625.

Georgia was beat out by Oklahoma (197.85), Denver (197.0375), UCLA (197.5125) and LSU (197.675), who will all advance to the final four.

The GymDogs began the night on the bars, where they posted a 49.275. Senior Sydney Snead led the team with a 9.9. She was the only GymDog to earn a 9.9 on the bars Friday night. The next highest score came from junior Rachel Dickson who earned a 9.887.

On the beam, the GymDogs earned a team score of 48.8625. None of the gymnasts earned a 9.9, and junior Sabrina Vega i notched the team’s highest score with a 9.8375. She was followed by Dickson with a 9.8125.

The GymDogs third rotation was floor. Once again, none of Georgia’s gymnasts earned a 9.9 on the event. The highest score was a 9.8625 earned by Dickson.

The team ended the meet on vault, earning a 49.2375. Vault has been the GymDogs strongest event this season, and it continued to be a strong suit for the team in Texas. Snead and Vega led the team, each earning a 9.9. The next highest score came from freshman Rachael Lukacs who earned a 9.85.

The GymDogs 2019 season came to a conclusion with this loss. Snead will be the only senior leaving the team, and the GymDogs will see quite a few freshmen returning in the fall.

“They are young. They have the will and they want it so bad,” head coach Courtney Kupets Carter said. “It’s about getting them to understand in that moment that they can just go do it. Let it go, be free. That didn’t happen tonight.”