190201_jca_gymdawgs_021.jpg

Rachel Dickson clebrates after a successful bars routine at a University of Georgia gymanstics meet against Arkansas on Feb. 1, 2019 at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia. The Gym Dawgs defeated their opponents 197.475 - 196.125 after all events. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia GymDogs claimed their first road victory this Friday in Columbia, Missouri, with a score of 196.300 to Missouri's 195.900.

The GymDogs continued to dominate on vault, earning a 49.300 to Missouri’s 48.875. Junior Rachel Dickson led the GymDogs with a career-high 9.975. Senior Sydney Snead and freshman Rachael Lukacs both earned scores of 9.9. Going into last week, the GymDogs were ranked third in the nation on vault and continue to prove their high levels of success on this event.

Georgia also outscored Missouri on the beam 49.175-48.600. Freshman Rachel Baumann led the event with a season and career-high score of 9.9.

Despite their young age, gymnasts like Baumann and Lukacs have stepped into significant roles on the GymDogs team this season. With nine freshmen and only three upperclassmen heading into the season, there were plenty of opportunities for young athletes to step up. Baumann and Lukacs have done this throughout the season and certainly exemplified it Friday night.

The combination of upperclassmen leadership from Dickson, Snead and Sabrina Vega and young talent such as Lukacs and Baumann has been key for the GymDogs this season.

Missouri outscored Georgia on the floor and bars, but Georgia still took home the meet by a .4 margin. This victory was the GymDogs first on the road this season.

“This team has so much potential,” head coach Courtney Kupets Carter said. “We need to put everything together. It’s a process and we’re going to keep working towards that.”