171020_JMS_icedogs_online_0002.jpg

The Georgia Ice Dawgs faceoff against the University of Florida at the classic center on Friday, October 20, 2017, in Athens, Georgia. The Ice Dawgs won the game 6 to 5. (Photo/Jane Snyder, www.janemarysnyder.com)

The Georgia club hockey team is on the brink of elimination.

After winning their first game against Nebraska 5-1 on March 13 in the American Collegiate Hockey Conference national tournament, the Ice Dawgs fell to Oakland University 8-4 Wednesday in Columbus, Ohio.

Zac Massa scored 5 goals to lead the Golden Grizzlies to victory.

Oakland took advantage of a major Georgia penalty early in the game.

After some deliberation, the referees called an interference on Georgia defenseman Kyle Harris, sending him to the penalty box for five minutes.

Oakland scored twice during the power play.

Georgia often had to deal with the disadvantage of playing with less men on the ice due to several penalties.

Senior captain and forward Alex Carey kicked the scoring off with a goal just over a minute into the first period. It was the only lead the Ice Dawgs would have all day.

Carter Penzien scored two goals and Zach Flasch added one for the Ice Dawgs.

The Ice Dawgs play Farmingdale State College Thursday at 8 pm. Georgia needs both a win and an Oakland loss to possibly win Pool C and advance to the semifinals.

Oakland, meanwhile, is on the verge of punching its ticket to the next round. After prevailing against Farmingdale and Georgia, the Golden Grizzlies have the best record heading into the final day of pool play. They play Nebraska Thursday at 11 am.