On a day where the Georgia ice hockey team’s home win streak was on the line, the Ice Dawgs prevailed against Kennesaw State University 7-4 for an overall record of 9-1-1.

UGA senior forward Alex Carey highlighted the offensive effort again for Georgia with a hat trick plus one, to top his hat trick on Friday against Tennessee. Carey praised the strength of the KSU team and its ability to make plays, create turnovers and finish in the back of the net.

“To extend that streak against them when they had beaten us earlier in the year… it’s a pretty good feeling,” said Carey. “They beat us pretty bad last time, so we knew we had to be coming hard and coming for blood.”

The Ice Dawgs were 8-1-1 entering tonight’s game, with the only digit in the third column a result of the team’s Sep. 30 loss to Kennesaw State. With Saturday’s game in the win column, the Ice Dawgs extended their home win streak to 25 games. The last home loss was to Kennesaw State in 2015.

The Ice Dawgs and the Owls passed the lead back and forth in the first period. Carey struck first with a goal at the 9:29 mark. KSU’s Mitchell Bright tied it up with the Owls’ first score. David Spielberger answered another goal to give Georgia back the lead until KSU’s Ian McDonald slipped another one past freshman goalie Emily Barber.

Tied 2-2 in the beginning of the second period, the teams played “say uncle” until the 7:27 mark when Carey scored his second contribution of the game. Drew Spysinski answered for the Owls to tie it up again. With under a minute to go, Carey scored his third goal to give Georgia the lead heading into the third period.

A shot by junior forward Carter Penzien found the back of the net and was soon followed by Carey’s fourth goal of the game. Junior forward Christopher Santa Maria chipped in with a goal of his own. Ryan Patel answered with a score for the Owls to bring the final score to 7-4.

Georgia has a nearly three-week long gap before its next game against Clemson on Nov. 30 at Akins Ford Arena in the Classic Center.