UGA vs. Life Hockey

Georgia's forward David Spielberger (11) tries to save the puck during a club hockey match at the Classic Center in Athens, GA, on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2016. (Photo/Jacob Egan)

Thursday was a tough day for the Georgia Ice Dawgs.

First, the team learned that they officially could not advance to the semifinals of the American Collegiate Hockey Conference Division 3 tournament due to Oakland’s 9-4 victory over Nebraska earlier in the day.

Then they lost to Farmingdale State by a score of 6-2.

Georgia finished with one win and two losses in the tournament.

Matt O’Shaughnessy, a junior forward from West Babylon, New York, sparked Farmingdale’s offense early by completing a hat trick in the first period. He also had two assists.

Carter Penzien and Christopher Santa Maria each had one goal for the Ice Dawgs.

Penalties hampered Georgia’s efforts in both losses. The team could not recover from early penalties that put the Ice Dawgs at a disadvantage from the beginning.

Georgia had six total penalties against Farmingdale. Three out of the six Farmingdale goals were off of power plays.

Farmingdale also committed several fouls. After an altercation with Georgia senior forward Alex Carey, Chris Stubba was ejected with a facemask game misconduct.

Georgia’s loss to Oakland on Wednesday ensured that Georgia’s fate hinged on an Oakland loss to Nebraska, but the Golden Grizzlies prevailed.

With an undefeated run through Pool C, Oakland is on its way to winning back-to-back national championships. The team clinched a spot in the semifinals and will battle Quinnipiac on Friday night. The winner will face the winner of the game between Central Michigan and Hope College.