181004_VMH_IceDawgsvsClemson_0310.jpg

The University of Georgia Ice Dawgs club hockey team celebrates a goal against Clemson University in their home opener at Akins Ford Arena at the Classic Center in Athens, Georgia, on Thursday, Oct. 4, 2018. The Ice Dawgs defeated the Tigers by a score of 8-5. (Photo/Vira Halim, www.virahalim.wordpress.com)

The Georgia Ice Dawgs beat Clemson 8-5 Thursday at Atkins Ford Arena in Athens. Caleb Santa Maria led Georgia with four goals, while Austin Krusko scored two goals. Christopher Santa Maria and Jackson Katz each added a goal.

Georgia's offense was aggressive throughout the night, consistently keeping the puck in Clemson’s redzone.

While the Tigers jumped out to an early lead, Caleb Santa Maria scored the Ice Dawgs' first goal with 1:20 left in the first period, cutting Georgia's deficit to 3-1. Caleb Santa Maria scored another two goals in the second period to narrow the score to 4-3, Clemson. 

Clemson’s quick to score the last goal in the second period closing things out at 5-3.

Clemson increased its lead to 5-3, but a flurry of Georgia scoring gave Georgia a 7-5 advantage. With 17 seconds remaining in the game, Caleb Santa Maria scored his fourth goal and final goal of the night to punctuate an 8-5 Ice Dawgs win.