Georgia vs. Missouri football 0071.JPG

Georgia wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie (16) drives the ball down the field during the first half of a NCAA college football game between Georgia and Missouri, Saturday, Sept. 16, 2016. in Columbia, Missouri. (Photo/Joshua L. Jones - Joshuajonesphoto@gamil.com)

Former Georgia wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie was taken in the fifth round of the 2017 NFL Draft on Saturday by the Denver Broncos. McKenzie was the 172nd overall pick.

McKenzie opted to forgo his senior season with the Bulldogs due to an "academic situation" that would have caused him to miss spring practice. He announced the decision after the Liberty Bowl last December, a game in which he caught four passes for 103 yards.

"I feel like I can be an asset to someone," McKenzie said after the bowl victory.

Mckenzie offers the Broncos a shifty and fast wide receiver who also has upside in the return game. He finished his career at Georgia with 60 catches for 823 yards and seven touchdowns. He also returned five punts for touchdowns — a Georgia record.

Broncos general manager and vice president of football operations John Elway tweeted that the team traded up to get McKenzie, who he called "an electric returner and a productive offensive player." Elway also said McKenzie provides a "dual threat" for Denver, which missed the playoffs last season after winning Super Bowl 50.