190420_GMA_GDaySecondHalf0010.jpg

Georgia wide receiver Jeremiah Holloman (9) runs the football into the endzone for a touchdown during the second half of the annual G-Day game on Saturday, April 20, 2019, at Sanford, Stadium in Athens, Georgia. The red team won the scrimmage with a score of 22-17. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

Following an investigation into a 2018 assault, the University of Georgia football team dismissed rising third-year wide receiver Jeremiah Holloman on Friday, June 21. 

According to the report from the UGA Police Department, the incident took place on April 22, 2018 at 4 a.m., the morning after that year’s G-Day scrimmage. However, the incident was not reported to UGAPD until June 2, 2019. 

What happened

According to the report, there was an argument between Holloman and the individual who filed the report. The argument became physical, and the victim stated she called Holloman’s brother to give her a ride home from Holloman’s Rooker Hall dorm. 

The victim stated in the report that while waiting for Holloman’s brother, Holloman stood over her and choked her. While Holloman was choking her, his brother entered and broke up the altercation. The victim got up and stood behind Holloman’s brother. The victim said Holloman then reached around his brother and punched her in the face.

During his interview with UGAPD, Holloman admitted to hitting the victim. 

“I asked Jeremiah how he hit [the victim],” officer Will Graham’s report stated. “He said ‘One time, a quick jab that was it.’ I asked which hand he used and Jeremiah said his right hand.” 

Holloman’s written statement describes the context of the punch. Holloman said he laughed at a comment, and the victim started to hit him in the face and upper body. He then threw a punch with his right hand while pushing her off with the left.

Both the victim and Holloman’s accounts say the victim began bleeding from above her eye after the hit. Holloman’s brother drove the victim to the hospital. 

The victim stated that at the time of the 2018 incident, she told doctors she had fallen in the shower and hit her head, causing the injury. The victim stated the doctors placed six stitches under her eyebrow. 

According to the 2019 report, medical records from Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center stated the victim was admitted for a facial injury, head injury and nasal laceration on April 22, 2018 at 5:30 a.m. 

The medical records also indicate doctors observed three abrasions on the victim’s neck — the victim said they were old and from a game of pickup basketball. 

The victim stated in the report that she had only told her best friend about the 2018 incident until recently. After telling other family members and friends, one of whom was a police officer, the group agreed she should report the incident to UGAPD. 

According to the 2019 report, the incident was the only time the relationship between Holloman and the victim was violent. 

The report also stated the victim was unsure when she cut ties with Holloman but did so because “she never looked at him the same after the incident.” 

The victim is not pursuing criminal charges. 

Team’s response

In response to the investigation, the Georgia football team dismissed Holloman, who many were expecting to be the team’s standout wide receiver. 

Last season, Holloman had 24 catches for 418 yards and five touchdowns.

Prior to Holloman’s dismissal, Georgia defensive back Latavious Brini was in the news for alleged involvement in an altercation in downtown Athens which resulted in a plea deal. While Brini’s incident did not end his career with Georgia, Holloman was dismissed rather swiftly.

“Jeremiah Holloman no longer represents the University of Georgia football program,” Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said in a statement to The Covington News. “We expect every member of our team to uphold the highest standards and values of the University of Georgia and Georgia football. It is disappointing when this does not happen.”