190201_rmw_gymdogs_arkansas_00015.jpg

Head gymnastics coach Courtney Kupets Carter looks at the scoreboard during a meet against Arkansas at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019. The Georgia GymDogs defeated Arkansas with an season-record high of 197.475 to 196.125. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Katie Heenan Dodson, a former All-American and Honda Award winner for the University of Georgia, joined the gymnastics staff as a volunteer coach on Tuesday, July 2.

“We are thrilled to add Katie to our staff,” head coach Courtney Kupets Carter said. “DawgNation will remember her incredible gymnastics and having her back on the floor in Stegeman will be very exciting. Her knowledge and love for the sport, as well as loyalty to the University of Georgia, is evident in all she does. I’m so glad she will be here to help bring the program added success.”

As a member of the GymDogs, Heenan Dodson was a 13-time All-American and was recognized on all four events and in the all-around. Also, she was a part of four team national championships from 2005 to 2008.

Also, Heenan Dodson helped Georgia bring home three SEC Championships and she earned four crowns of her own. She was named SEC Champion on beam in 2005, vault in 2008 and shared the title with Kupets Carter in the all-around in 2005 and 2007. She was also named SEC Gymnast of the Year in 2007 and earned All-SEC accolades all four years at Georgia.

"I am beyond thrilled to be coming back to Georgia to work with the team and staff,” Heenan Dodson said.  “As an alumni, I have always felt like I was still part of the program in a small way, but I am excited to now be a part of the day-to-day, face-to-face workings of the team and staff.  I have known Courtney since we were pre-teens, and I have always admired her for the person that she is, her determination, and tenacity. I am honored to be able to coach with her and the rest of the GymDog staff who exude excellence. I am truly grateful for this opportunity.”