Brandon Burrows

Head coach Mark Richt reinstated Burrows to the team Monday.

Georgia head football coach Mark Richt announced Thursday that redshirt sophomore inside linebacker Brandon Burrows will be transferring.

Burrows’ decision to transfer is in an effort to seek an opportunity for increased playing time.

During his two years at Georgia, Burrows attempted to adapt to a position change.

Not for a lack of trying, he has decided to search for a school that allows him return to defensive end.

“I came out of high school playing the defensive end position in a 4-3 defense which is what I truly love,” said Burrows.  “The coaching change here led to a 3-4 defense. I have worked with that transition but decided that I want to get back to playing defensive end.  I think another program may give me the best opportunity to succeed at that.”

Burrows, from Marietta, was a graduate of Walton High School in 2010.

After redshirting his freshman year, Burrows was forced to sit out the 2011 season due to a shoulder injury.

Even though Burrows will be leaving Athens, he still speaks admirably about the Georgia program.

“I’m eternally gratefully for the opportunity Coach Richt has given me at UGA and for the fact that he gave me an unconditional release,” said Burrows. “I know I’ll be hard-pressed to find a group of coaches and players that will develop into the leaders and friends that I have known here in Athens.”

Richt spoke equally complementary about Burrows.

“Brandon is an outstanding person, student-athlete and has a wonderful family,” said Richt.  “We’ve enjoyed having him as part of our program and will provide whatever assistance we can in his transition.  I am completely understanding of his decision and wish him nothing but the best.”