Georgia vs. Florida football 0048.JPG

Georgia outside linebacker Lorenzo Carter (7) celebrates after the Georgia defense recovered a fumble during an NCAA college football game between Georgia and Florida at EverBank Field, in Jacksonville, Florida., on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015. (Photo/Joshua L. Jones, joshjonesphoto@yahoo.com)

Yo-Yo Ma radio isn’t a normal channel you would find on a 20-year-old’s Pandora station. It’s even a little stranger when you find it on the station of a 6-foot-6, 242-pound college student who puts on pads every Saturday and wants nothing more than to hit somebody.

Then again, Lorenzo Carter isn’t your average 20-year-old outside linebacker. Sure, the junior has recorded 69 tackles during his career at Georgia, but it's what he does in his down time that makes him even more of a unique player. 

Growing up in a musical household, Carter fell in love with the cello. 

“I love the sound,” Carter said. 

Carter picked up the stringed instrument after his parents encouraged him to become more well-rounded as a child. He said his parents pushed him to balance academics, athletics and some form of music.

“My whole family has some type of musical talent, so I had to pick something up,” Carter said.

The cello was the first instrument Carter picked up, but it wasn’t the last. When he was younger, he went to a school that didn’t have an orchestra where he could have played the cello. In order to keep his love for music thriving, he decided to switch allegiances to the school’s band.

That’s when Carter got into the brass section. Carter picked up the tuba, trombone and baritone, making him a multi-instrument talent.

Carter said he didn’t remember any of the songs he played when he stopped orchestra and band heading into high school, but made sure to point out he was first chair in his school’s orchestra. 

Now, he said he listens to more modern cello instrumentalists, but always loves listening to classical music in his down time. 

“I like 2Cellos, but I also love listening to classical music,” Carter said. 

Although he wasn’t in the band or orchestra in high school, Carter said he wanted to pick up playing the instrument he fell in love with all those years ago. 

“It’s pretty relaxing,” Carter said.