190411_jca_golf_05.jpg

Rinko Mitsunaga smiles at a coach at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic on Apr. 11, 2019 at the Georgia golf course. The tournament is played over three days. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

Recent University of Georgia graduate and women’s golf player Rinko Mitsunaga won the Georgia Women’s Amateur Championship on Friday.

She finished the 54-hole event at 4-over par, two shots ahead of runner up Christyn Carr.

“I knew this was a course where people weren’t going to shoot 6- or 7-under,” Mitsunaga said. “I had a good game plan and stuck to it. That made me confident throughout the week.”

After she was tied for sixth after round one, Mitsunaga made a push in the second of three rounds to put herself in first place alongside Ainsley Cowart and Ava Merrill.

In the final round, Mitsunaga trailed Merrill by one stroke despite playing the first nine hole at even-par. Merrill bogied on the 10th hole while Mitsuanga birdied and took the lead. She held on for the final eight holes and became the second straight Bulldog to win the Georgia Women’s Am, following up Bailey Tardy last year.

Mitsunaga claimed the victory on Friday with Josh Brewer, her former Georgia coach, serving as her caddy.

“He’s been there watching me for seven years since he started recruiting me,” Mitsunaga said. “He knows my game as well as anyone. I really struggled my senior year, and Josh was always there helping me get through it. I knew when I was in a position to win that I wanted him on the bag.”