BaseballDrafteeGallery_001.jpg

Scherzer got the start against the Kansas City Royals shortly after welcoming his second daughter to the world. He struck out 11 batters and continued the dominance in his last nine starts with a 0.84 ERA in that span. (Photo/ C. B. Schmelter, The Red & Black)

MLB takes on London

The ESPN commentators assigned to the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox series in London, England, marveled over the way the stadium was transformed from a soccer pitch to a baseball diamond. The stadium truly was something to behold and the series overall, despite featuring approximately nine hours of baseball, was an absolute success.

There were 50 combined runs scored in the series as pitching was certainly not at its best for either club. The Yankees won both games by scores of 17-13 and 12-8. Yankees second baseman DJ LeMahieu’s dominance with runners in scoring position was on full display, while Red Sox rookie Michael Chavis launching a pair of three run homers.

There was speculation that due to the design of the stadium, breaking balls were rendered ineffective. Both Rick Porcello and Masahiro Tanaka — who feature a high percentage of breaking pitches — were both knocked out in game one’s first inning after giving up 6 earned runs each.

Nevertheless, the series was wildly fun and entertaining with a flair for the dramatic. The people of London got to see two of the association’s best teams play a pair of action packed games. This was the MLB’s first ever series played on European soil and there is already another one scheduled for next season featuring the Chicago Cubs and the St. Louis Cardinals.

Home Run Derby participants

Six of the eight home run derby participants have been revealed.

Pete Alonso, Carlos Santana, Christian Yelich, Josh Bell, Vladimir Guerrero Jr, and Ronald Acuña Jr are the six who have joined up so far. Yelich is currently leading the National League with 29 home runs while Carlos Santana is looking to replicate Bryce Harper’s success from a year ago as the hometown hero.

With two more spots left to be filled, names such as Yankees slugger Luke Voit and Tampa Bay Rays outfielder Austin Meadows have been thrown around.

There will be a full list of participants within the next few days. 

Full All-Star rosters revealed

The complete roster for the 2019 MLB All-Star game in Cleveland was released. The Houston Astros are pacing the league this season with six players being selected. The hometown Cleveland Indians will have three representing their club.

Snubs are always a hot topic once an All-Star roster is released and this year is no different. Among the most puzzling choices is the addition of Chicago White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu over Luke Voit of the Yankees.

Also of note, Mike Trout is making his eighth All-Star appearance. He has made the contest every season of his career with he exception of a 2011 campaign where he only played 40 games as a 19 year-old.

This game is a must-watch for every baseball fan. There is a great mixture of youth and veterans featuring a total of 31 first-time All-Stars.

Giancarlo Stanton back to the Injured List

Yankee slugger Giancarlo Stanton has found himself back on the injured list following a brief stint with his Major League club.

New York’s general manager Brian Cashman said that Stanton will likely be out until August. The latest ailment for the outfielder has been diagnosed as a right knee strain. He has previously worked back from injuries to his biceps, shoulder and calf.

This does not bode well for either the Yankees or Stanton who is under a massive $265 million contract.