BaseballDrafteeGallery_001.jpg

Scherzer got the start against the Kansas City Royals shortly after welcoming his second daughter to the world. He struck out 11 batters and continued the dominance in his last nine starts with a 0.84 ERA in that span. (Photo/ C. B. Schmelter, The Red & Black)

Braves demote Foltynewicz 

Following another tough outing where he gave up 8 earned runs in just 4 complete innings, Atlanta Braves starting pitcher Mike Foltynewicz was sent down to Triple A Gwinnett. His ERA is 6.37 on the season. 

Much of it stems from wavering confidence and a lack of control. Even Atlanta’s commentators took notice of the bad body language and frustration they have been seeing lately from the former All-Star. With the recent addition of Dallas Keuchel to the rotation, Foltynewicz is fighting for his spot. His stay in the minor leagues is not likely to be an extended one, but he will have to show improved production composure.

Mets spark verbal altercation

The New York Mets are back in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Starting pitcher Jason Vargas and manager Mickey Callaway were involved in a heated verbal exchange with a reporter following the team’s 5-3 loss to the Chicago Cubs. The Mets organization has since released a statement featuring an apology.

This is not a good look for a team that has fallen significantly below expectations. Callaway’s job has been publicly in jeopardy for the past few months and Vargas has underperformed as a part of a decorated pitching staff.

There will certainly be repercussions of the incident for the spiraling club.

Yankees break another home run record

There have been 26 consecutive games featuring a home run from the New York Yankees. DJ LeMahieu, fittingly, turned around a pitch from the ace Justin Verlander. That home run broke the record set in 1941 by the franchise.

The streak began on Sunday, May 26, with much of the team’s bat power on the injured list. Both Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton have rejoined the lineup which makes the streak feel even more secure. The Yankees are nearing full strength, and the home runs are unlikely to stop. 

Trade talks are heating up

Trade rumors are swirling all around Major League Baseball and feature no shortage of big names. Star pitchers Max Scherzer and Noah Syndergaard are just two of the shining trade pieces on the market.

It seems like a common theme of the MLB season to see a Mets pitcher on the trade block. Last year it was the Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom along with Zack Wheeler. Syndergaard could be moved to a playoff team in need of quality starting pitching and the Mets could receive some highly touted prospects in return.

Francisco Lindor is making a surprise appearance on the block this year after Cleveland stumbled out of the gate. Their deficit to the Minnesota Twins continues to grow and the feeling is that Cleveland will not be in contention this year. 

The teams that were in contention, but did not get Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel will likely look to the trade market to fill a need. Big names will be on the move soon.

Three straight walk-off homers for Dodgers

The Los Angeles Dodgers have done something unheard of, walking off three consecutive games with home runs from rookies.

Matt Beaty, Alex Verdugo and Will Smith have almost single handedly been the demise of the Colorado Rockies. The Dodgers have now beaten the Rockies in 11 straight games going back to last season.

The Dodgers bolstered their 13-game division lead over Colorado last week forming a hefty hill to climb.