190306_ks_BasketballvsMO_0021.jpg

Georgia sophomore Nicolas Claxton looks to the sidelines for direction from the coaches. The University of Georgia men’s basketball team hosted Missouri on senior night to fall with a final score of 64-39 in Athens, Georgia on March 6, 2019. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean)

UPDATE: On May 28, Nicolas Claxton announced he will stay in the NBA draft and forgo his final two years of eligibility at Georgia.  

The Georgia men’s basketball team received some bad news on Friday. Only one day after Anthony Edwards signed with the Bulldogs, Nicolas Claxton declared for the NBA draft.

Per NCAA rules, Claxton can still return to the Bulldogs even if he signs with an agent. Former Bulldog Yante Maten declared for the draft in 2017 before coming back for his senior season in Athens.

Claxton was Georgia’s leading scorer in his sophomore season with 13.4 points per game. He also led Georgia in rebounds, steals and blocks. The 6-foot-11, 220-pound forward from Greenville, South Carolina, started in every game last season.

Two seasons ago, Claxton and Rayshaun Hammonds were the only Georgia freshmen to appear in every game. Claxton started a total of five games during his freshman season, scoring 3.9 points per game.

Claxton is the son of Charles Claxton, who played for Georgia from 1991-1995. The Phoenix Suns selected Charles in the second round of the 1994 draft, but he opted to return to school for his senior season.