20190531_dr_UGAvMercerBaseball0010.jpg

Georgia infielder (22) Aaron Schunk celebrates a homerun against Mercer. The Georgia Bulldogs defeat the Mercer Bears 13-3 in the first round of the NCAA regional playoffs on May 31, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Daniela Rico)

On Wednesday, it was announced that junior Aaron Schunk and pitcher Emerson Hancock were selected onto the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association, or NCBWA, All-America second team.

Schunk was selected as the utility player for his work as both the third baseman and closer for the Bulldogs.

Schunk was the first Bulldog selected in the MLB Draft, chosen with the 62nd pick in the second round to the Colorado Rockies. In his junior season, Schunk hit .339 at the plate with 15 home runs and 58 RBIs, earning the first "Triple Crown" since 2010. In 17 appearances as a closer, Schunk registered a 2.49 ERA and 12 saves.

Because of his work at both positions, the College Baseball Foundation announced on Thursday that Schunk is this year's John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year. Schunk is the first Georgia player to receive this award and was a finalist a season ago.

Hancock went 8-3 in his sophomore season with a 1.99 ERA in 14 starts. Hancock’s 1.99 ERA is the eighth best in Georgia history and the lowest for a Georgia pitcher since 1977. Hancock held opposing batters to a .185 batting average while registering 97 strikeouts to only 18 walks in 90.1 innings.

In addition, the American Baseball Coaches Association, or ABCA, announced its eight All-Region teams. Schunk and Hancock were named to the South Region first team, while teammates LJ Talley and Tony Locey were selected onto the South Region second team.

Talley — a four-year starter at short stop — recently signed with the Toronto Blue Jays after being selected in the seventh round. Talley finished his collegiate career batting .332 with eight home runs and 41 RBIs. Talley was also named onto the 2019 SEC All-Defensive team.

Locey recently signed with the St. Louis Cardinals, after being selected in the third round of last week’s draft. Locey earned an 11-2 record with a 2.53 ERA in his junior season and was also a semifinalist for the 2019 National Pitcher of the Year.