181027_ajw_ga_fla_first_half0017.jpg

Georgia defensive back Richard LeCounte (2) and Georgia defensive back J.R. Reed (20) celebrate after picking up a fumble at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida, on Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018. The University of Georgia football team played against the University of Florida for their eighth game of the season. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Georgia football held their sixth practice of fall camp on Thursday. Here are some observations from the 12 minutes of practice made available to the media.

Defense

The Bulldogs were in full-pads for the second consecutive practice of fall camp. They dealt with temperatures in the low 90s on Thursday afternoon. 

Head coach Kirby Smart spent all 12 of the open minutes of practice working with the defensive backs.

The cornerbacks were working on combo coverages with the safeties. Eric Stokes and Tyson Campbell took the first-team reps at corner. Redshirt sophomore cornerback Ameer Speed made a nice play breaking up a corner route on the near side and got some extra attention from defensive backs coach Charlton Warren.

Presumed starters Richard LeCounte and J.R. Reed worked on the first team at safety, but Lewis Cine also received a few first-team reps. The true freshman from Cedar Hill, Texas, was the No. 3 safety in the 2019 class according to the 247Sports Composite.

Offense

The quarterbacks and running backs worked on handoffs during the first half of the open period.

The QB/RB pairings were as expected with Fromm partnering with D’Andre Swift, Stetson Bennett with James Cook, and D’wan Mathis with Brian Herrien.

After the handoff drills, the quarterbacks split off with the tight ends to work short yardage routes. Fromm connected with Charlie Woerner on the first-team reps.