Georgia vs. Arkansas

Georgia gymnast Mary Beth Box sticks her landing in the floor exercise event at the NCAA gymnastics competition against the Arkansas Razorbacks in Athens, Ga on Saturday, March 7, 2015. (Photo/ Samuel Wilson)

After yet another sub-197 score, the Gym Dogs remained at No. 10 in the nation with the release of the latest rankings. However, because there is only one meet left until the Southeastern Conference Championship, the Gym Dogs are mathematically eliminated from competing in the night session of SECs.

Auburn’s mid-196 away score Friday and low 197 Sunday were good enough to oust Georgia from the top four in the conference and seal the last night slot. Instead, Georgia will compete in the afternoon session alongside Arkansas, Kentucky and Missouri. There is little importance in when a team competes. However, scores tend to be lower in the earlier competition and slightly higher later on. Also, since the championship split into two parts with the addition of Missouri to the SEC, the winner or even the top three finishers have never come out of the afternoon meet.

In the rest of NCAA gymnastics this weekend, the scores were out of this world. Four teams scored 198s at three different meets. Oklahoma retained its No. 1 position after defeating Florida 198.5-198.1. The Gators, who jumped to No. 2 after the impressive road showing, and the Sooners both tied for the national title last year.

LSU dropped to No. 3 even after posting a 198.375. However the competition was held in Baton Rouge, so the emphasis on road scores in the regional qualifying system played more to Florida’s favor.

No. 4 Utah stayed in its spot in the rankings after tallying a 198.250 and Alabama flipped positions with Michigan to rest at No. 5 going into the final weekend of the regular season. No. 7 Auburn, No. 8 UCLA, No. 9 Nebraska and No. 10 Georgia round out the top 10.

Individually, junior Brandie Jay is tied for No. 14 on vault with an RQS of 9.910. On bars, junior Brittany Rogers is tied for No. 15 (9.890) and senior Chelsea Davis is tied for No. 21 (9.885). On beam, both junior Mary Beth Box and sophomore Ashlyn Broussard squeaked into the top 25. Box sits tied at No. 23 (9.875) and Broussard is two places lower, tied at No. 25 (9.870).

Leading the standings on each event are many of the same faces from previous weeks. Florida’s Kytra Hunter jumped Minnesota’s Lindsay Mable for the top spot in the all around and is also tied for No. 1 on floor with LSU’s Lloimincia Hall and Denver’s Nina McGee. Gator Alex McMurtry is No. 1 on vault, Utah’s Georgia Dabritz is No. 1 on bars and Oklahoma’s Chayse Capps is still No. 1 on beam.

The Gym Dogs will close out the season against No. 4 Utah for senior night Saturday. The Utes boast many standout gymnasts including Dabritz who, apart from being the top-ranked bar worker in the country, has three perfect 10s on the 2015 season so far on the event and sits at No. T-3 on vault and No. 6 on floor.