G-Day 0032.JPG

Georgia FLK Reggie Davis (81) moves the rock down the field during the G-Day spring football game, Saturday, April 16, 2016, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Joshua L. Jones joshjonesphoto@yahoo.com)

At this year’s NFL draft combine in Indianapolis, Indiana, Washington wide receiver John Ross III broke the all-time combine 40-yard dash record by posting a 4.22 time, two hundredths of a second faster than the mark Chris Johnson set back in 2008.

Reggie Davis did not display quite that level of speed at Georgia’s pro day Wednesday, but his performance in the event certainly exceeded the expectations of most.

According to walterfootball.com, Davis clocked in at 4.31, a mark which would have made him the third fastest runner at the combine this year. It would have tied him for fastest in the event in 2016 with former teammate Keith Marshall.

“I just wanted to come out here and kill the 40,” Davis said. “I feel like I did a good job on that.”

And while the quick time may come as a surprise to those on the outside, Davis said it was right around where he planned on running.

While training for his pro day at Bommarito Performance Systems in Davie, Florida, Davis said his fastest attempt at the 40-yard dash was a 4.29. It was a result he planned on at least replicating and hopefully exceeding when NFL scouts were watching on March 15.

With his impressive time, Davis carries on a recent tradition of speedy athletes coming out of Georgia. In addition to Marshall’s combine-leading time last year, wide receiver Chris Conley’s 4.35 was the fourth best mark at the 2015 combine.

Running back Todd Gurley never ran a 40-yard dash at the combine as he was recovering from a knee injury in 2015, but he was an elite sprinter in high school, finishing second in 100-meter dash in the 2A state track meet for North Carolina in 2011.

To this point in the draft process, Davis has not been drawing as much attention from professional programs as his similarly fast peers. Gurley was a 10th overall draft pick. Conley was a third round selection while Marshall was taken in the seventh.

According to nfldraftscout.com, Davis is ranked as the 152nd best receiver in this year’s class. With only 33 receivers being drafted last year, Davis is not expected to hear his name called in Philadelphia this April.

During his four year college career, Davis never exceeded 300 yards receiving in a season and only caught two touchdowns.

But Davis said he hopes his elite straight-away speed will move him in the right direction on NFL general managers' draft boards. Davis’ reasoning for why professional teams should consider him in late April was simple, yet convincing.

“Speed kills,” he said.