Luke Dixon.jpg

Saturday marks the beginning  the 2012 Bulldogs finally hit the field.

If you’re a season ticket holder, Georgia dignitary or are involved with the game day activities of either team, you’ll probably be one of the 92,746 filing into Sanford Stadium.

As a current student, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll get to see Georgia “Tee it up Between the Hedges.” 

This is where my issue comes into play.

This offseason, the Athletic Association board approved changes for how student football tickets would be distributed amongst the University's 34,765 students.

The most controversial change is that freshmen get priority for home games.

The reasoning behind this change stems from the half-empty student sections, in games such as Coastal Carolina, New Mexico State and yes, even the second half of the Auburn game.

Seeing the empty stands, the Athletic Association felt like they had lost ticket requests from former freshman who, having not received full season packages in the past, weren't applying for them now that they were eligible.

The empty seats were not from a lack in student ticket sales.

Many of the students who request the tickets are solely doing it to re-sell them to the unlucky students who didn't receive their own.

Using the ticket donation system established last year, students are able to receive their tickets and then "donate" them to another student — after money has exchanged hands, of course. 

Why the en masse ticket sale though? The Georgia Class of 2015 Facebook group alone has over 40 posts concerning reselling tickets.

Remember a few years ago when gas prices skyrocketed from $2.50 to upwards of $5 and $6?

People panicked and paid excessively because it was believed the supply was dwindling rapidly.

Selling your student ticket, of which there are a limited number, is in principle the same thing. You don’t need the ticket, but others who do will pay.

The University of Georgia is an academic first institution and as such we have a fair amount of students who are not football or sports crazed like myself. That’s perfectly okay. There’s not a thing wrong with that, and if you don’t wish to partake in the awesomeness that is a Saturday in Athens, that’s great!

Don’t take advantage of those who do, period.

Students get to purchase tickets to see all of our school’s sports at fraction of those tickets' worth – many sports are even free to with a student ID.

Even if it is a 50-point blowout against Buffalo this Saturday, stay in your seat. Meet some new people. Enjoy the experience of a Georgia football game.

Because after you graduate from the University, it won’t be so easy or cost efficient to go see the Bulldogs on Saturdays. 

— Luke Dixon is a sophomore dual major from Grayson, studying digital and broadcast journalism and political science.

KimUga

You'll never be able to stop students from reselling tickets b/c its just a part of college football. Sometimes selling one ticket ends up paying for the students' entire ticket package and any others sold will make a decent profit...a very appealing prospect to most college students. I do agree that they should enjoy their tickets while they're attending the university though...good SEC matchups cost ridiculous $$$ once you're an "adult"...

andrealg88

But if everyone (essentially) get's tickets now, who is buying them? Kids who forgot to sign up? Will it eventually be seniors who no longer have priority?