If Matthew Stafford's first competitive pass at Sanford Stadium is any indication of the future, the freshman quarterback may exceed his preseason hype.

Stafford connected with junior Mikey Henderson on a 63-yard touchdown pass on his first snap but could not salvage a win for his black team, as they fell to the red team 14-10 at Saturday's G-Day game.

"I thought we could take a shot on the first play, and it worked," Stafford said.

In the annual intrasquad spring scrimmage, the black team was composed of Georgia's first-team defense and second-team offense, with the inverse true for the red team roster.

Arguably, most of the depleted crowd was there to see Stafford, who was cheered every time he stepped on the field and finished the afternoon with 102 yards passing on five completions.

"I felt comfortable with the offense," he said. "I'm just trying to play as well as I can."

The afternoon was not as kind for the other two members of Georgia's starting quarterback race.

Senior Joe Tereshinski III had as many completions as interceptions (two) and was noticeably out-of-sync with receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

G-DAY LEADERS

Passing: Joe Cox, 162 yards

Rushing: Jason Johnson, 99 yards

Receiving: Tripp Chandler, 98 yards

Sacks: Charles Johnson/Kade Weston, 2

Interceptions: Tony Taylor/Jarvis Jackson/Paul Oliver/Ramarcus Brown/Asher Allen/CJ Byrd, 1

Freshman Joe Cox, who took snaps for both the Red and Black teams, completed 12 of 21 passes for 162 yards but was intercepted four times.

Two of Cox's picks were returned by freshman Asher Allen and sophomore Ramarcus Brown for the lone Red touchdowns.

"A couple of those balls I hesitated, thinking about the previous one," Cox said. "I didn't have the day I expected."

Head coach Mark Richt implied the events of G-Day will not alter the quarterback depth chart, which Tereshinski still leads.

"I doubt anything will change," he said. "Joe T. has experience and a start already, which is more than Shockley had at this point last year."

A slow offensive day allowed Georgia's defense to shine.

Highlighted by the Brown and Allen touchdowns, six different Bulldogs had interceptions.

On the line, junior defensive end Charles Johnson stole the show, logging five unassisted tackles and two sacks for the Black team.

In tune with G-Day tradition, the Red team earned a steak and lobster dinner, while the Black team will feast on franks and beans.