Taxslayer bowl

Malcolm Mitchell, a recent graduate from 2015, is the founder of Reading with Malcolm, a youth literacy initiative that helps young students in underserved communities with literacy.. (Photo/Taylor Carpenter)

Six former student-athletes were named to the University of Georgia’s annual “40 Under 40” list on Friday, June 28, for their personal, professional and philanthropic achievements.

The list recognizes outstanding young alumni, and the six that were acknowledged featured four former football players, a former swimming and diving athlete and a former women’s basketball player.

Demetric Evans, who played at Georgia from 1998 to 2000, was named to the list because he serves as a Captain for the NFL Trust/NFL Players Association.

Malcolm Mitchell, a recent graduate from 2015, is the founder of Reading with Malcolm, a youth literacy initiative. He was named to the list because of his literacy-based aid to young students in underserved communities.

Cory Phillips, former quarterback from 1999 to 2002, was acknowledged for his work as a Settlement Consultant and Principal at Forge Consulting.

Dr. Ryan Schnetzer, former center for the football team from 2003 to 2005, works as a Spine Surgeon at OrthoGeorgia and was the final former football player on the list.

Allison Schmitt was a swimmer for the Georgia swimming and diving team from 2009 to 2013, but was named due to her accomplishments as an eight-time medalist at the Olympics and because of her activism as a mental health advocate.

The final former student-athlete was Tina Taylor, who played for the women’s basketball team from 2001 to 2003 and works as a Senior Tax Manager at Ernst & Young LLP.’s Houston, Texas, branch.

The past three “40 Under 40” classes have included 11 former UGA student-athletes, including six football players.