180902_mkd_soccer_0456.jpg

Head Coach Billy Lesesne talks to the team after the soccer match against Virginia Tech on Sunday, September 2, 2018, at Turner Soccer Complex in Athens, Georgia. The soccer match ended in a 0-0 draw after two overtime periods. (Photo/Miranda Daniel)

The Georgia soccer team was heavily out-matched in what ended as a 5-0 route at No. 25 Vanderbilt Sunday night.

The game was almost over before it started, with the Commodores tallying four of their five goals in the first half, with three of them coming in a range of ten minutes.

Vanderbilt grabbed the lead in the 17th minute and never loosened its grip on the match. A long-standing soccer superstition says teams are usually most vulnerable right after scoring a goal, but Vanderbilt was having none of it. They followed with a flurry of shots peppering the UGA keeper, and came away with two more goals to make the score 3-0 by the 27th minute.

After tacking on a fourth goal right before the half time whistle, Vanderbilt strolled to the locker room with a comfortable lead.

The Bulldogs responded well in the second half with a better showing on the defensive end, allowing only four shots in the second half. One found found the back of the net in the 60th minute to send the home fans away happy.

Vanderbilt dealt most of their damage through set pieces, with all but one of their goals coming off a free-kick or corner. Georgia head coach Billy Lesesne felt that his team should’ve been more prepared for set-plays but gave credit to the lethal Vanderbilt attack.

“I don’t think our preparation was as good as it could have been and we didn’t execute in the game,” Lesesne said. “That cost us in several different occasions- I think they had one goal from the run of play. Set pieces are something we noticed that they do very well and they did it very well today. It came back to hurt us.”

After working hard on the training ground to execute set pieces to create goals themselves, the Bulldogs were given a lesson on the matter on Sunday.

The match marks Georgia’s second loss in a row, and extends their deficit to two games back behind Arkansas in the chase for the top spot in the SEC.

Lesesne and the Bulldogs will hope to get back on track in conference play at home against South Carolina on Thursday and win their first match since their SEC opener three weeks ago.