181012_kes_soccer_13.jpg

University of Georgia soccer head coach Billy Lesesne discusses the plan for the last ten minutes of play time; in this case, these ten minutes were that of the second of two overtime periods. The University of Georgia soccer team hosted their “Kick for a Cure” event to raise awareness for breast cancer against the University of Tennessee on Friday October 12th, 2018 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Kate Skeean)

It has been a rough 2018 season for Georgia soccer, and it ended with a loss on Thursday night in Lexington, Kentucky.

The Bulldogs dropped their season finale 2-1 on the road against Kentucky, even though the Wildcats finished the match with only 10 players after receiving a red card in the 63rd minute.

Georgia head coach Billy Lesesne admitted the loss was tough to take.

“This is a difficult result when we did a nice job of fighting back,” he said.

The game started well for the Bulldogs as they finished the first half with one more shot than Kentucky. The game was still knotted at 0-0 as the first half came to a close, but Georgia looked poised to take control in the second half.

Instead it was Kentucky who gained the upper hand almost immediately following the second half restart. The Wildcats grabbed a goal to take the lead just one minute into the second period.

Georgia responded with an equalizer in the 62nd minute when Katie Ralys fired a shot from close range after an incisive pass from Dani Murguia.

A Kentucky player was shown a red card for a foul just outside the Wildcat penalty area, but Murguia’s ensuing free-kick was wide of the mark and the score remained 1-1.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Kentucky scored another on a counter attack after a turnover in the 78th minute to give them a 2-1 advantage, which they would hold until the final whistle.

The match marks a disappointing end to the season for the Bulldogs as they finish with 4-9-5 record on the year.

“I’m still proud of this team and the growth that we are making together,” Lesesne said. “I look forward to taking this forward, growing, and getting better every day.”