180902_mkd_soccer_0301a.jpg

Reagan Glisson (34) from Savannah, Georgia, and Virginia Tech player, Jaylyn Thompson, a junior from Voorhees, New Jersey, fight for the ball during a soccer match on Sunday, September 2, 2018, at Turner Soccer Complex in Athens, Georgia. The soccer match ended in a 0-0 draw after two overtime periods. (Photo/Miranda Daniel)

The shooting cleats were missing once again for the Georgia soccer team (4-8-3) on Sunday when the Bulldogs lost to rival Auburn (11-3-1) by a score of 1-0 on the road.

The loss extends the team's goal-less streak, and after today’s match it has been 482 in-game minutes since Georgia's last goal six games ago.

“This is a tough one to swallow,” head coach Billy Lesesne said. “This game can be cruel at times when you play well and don’t get the result. I was proud of the team’s effort and the willingness to battle and compete today under tough conditions.”

Once again it was a set piece that did the Bulldogs in.

After a scoreless defensive first half, Auburn grabbed the lone goal of the match in the 65th minute following a free kick from near the halfway line.

“I thought we handled (the road conditions) well but unfortunately in the second half there was one direct ball that got in behind us and they were able to finish,” Lesesne said.

Offensively, the Bulldogs were led by sophomore striker and leading goal-scorer Reagan Glisson with four of the team’s eight shots. Only three were on target however, and none were able to beat Auburn keeper Sarah Le Beau.

On the other end, Georgia freshman keeper Emory Wegener continued her excellent run with another four saves. She remains atop the SEC in shots saved.

With the loss, the Bulldogs remain 12th in the SEC standings ahead of only Alabama and Kentucky, who are their final two regular season opponents.

Lesesne and his team will hope to cut the losing streak at four games and get a good result when they face Tennessee on Oct. 12 at the Turner Soccer Complex in Athens.