181021_jca_soccer_33.jpg

University of Georgia midfielder Jessie Denney (17) wrestles with Crimson Tide midfielder Taylor Morgan (11) during a match on Oct. 21, 2018 at the Turner Soccer Complex in Athens, Georgia. The Dawgs and Crimson Tide finished the match in a draw 1-1 in double overtime. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia soccer team dropped its season finale to Kentucky on Oct. 25 in a match that drew an end to what can only be described as an abysmal season.

After a promising 2-1-1 start, the Bulldogs crumbled in conference play and limped to a second-to-last finish in the SEC.

Here are a few stats that tell the story of Georgia’s success and failure in 2018.

Offensive Struggles

It was a tough year for the Georgia offense as they finished the year with 16 goals scored, averaging just .89 goals per game. They finished 12th in the SEC, and tied for 272nd in the country in total goals.

Not only could they not find the back of the net, but the offense didn’t create too many chances either. Georgia totaled 218 shots, 12th-best in the conference, and scored on just 7.34 percent of their attempted efforts on goal.

But despite the overall lack of potency in the attacking third, sophomore striker Reagan Glisson was a bright spot for the Bulldog’s attack.

180830_rmw_soccer_purdue_09 copy.jpg

Sophomore Reagan Glisson (34) from Savannah, Georgia, plays in a soccer match against Purdue University. The University of Georgia women’s soccer team lost to Purdue University 1-0 at the Turner Soccer Complex in Athens, Georgia on Aug. 30, 2018. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Glisson finished tied for 10th in the SEC with seven goals on the year, as well as eighth in the conference in shots. She was also much more clinical than the rest of the team, as she scored on 11.86 percent of her shots.

Glisson also had the best single-game attacking performance of any player in the conference. She tallied three goals and an assist in a 5-1 route of Charlotte on Aug. 26.

Porous Defense

The Georgia defense didn’t fare much better than the struggling offense in 2018. The Bulldogs finished 128th in the country in goals allowed with 21 on the year.

Set pieces gave the defense fits throughout the season with 9 of those 21 goals coming from either a free-kick or corner.

21 

Goals allowed by Georgia soccer in 2018, which ranks 128th in the country

That figure would’ve been much higher if not for a stellar season from freshman goalkeeper Emory Wegener. While she won’t be pleased with the number of goals scored against her, she did lead the SEC in saves 88, eight more than the next highest.

Wegener also finished in the top 100 nationally in total saves and save percentage, saving 82 percent of the shots she faced.

The Bulldog’s disciplinary record wasn’t as stellar however, as the team conceded 170 fouls, tied for 204th in the nation in fewest fouls committed.

Despite the rough year, head coach Billy Lesesne is still optimistic about the future, he and hopes for a better result in 2019.

“I’m still proud of this team and the growth that we are making together,” Lesesne said following the loss to Kentucky. “I look forward to taking this forward, growing, and getting better every day.”