021519_crj_softball_uga_omaha_0081.jpg

University of Georgia Alyssa DiCarlo, senior, hits the ball during a softball game against Omaha at Jack Turner Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019. Georgia defeated Omaha 8-3. (Photo/Caitlin Jett)

The No. 8 Georgia softball team recorded its 1,000th program victory Friday with a 1-0 shutout of Missouri.

In the Bulldogs’ first Southeastern Conference game, the pitching staff earned the 14th shutout of the season and allowed only two hits to the Tigers. Mary Wilson Avant (6-1) pitched four scoreless innings, allowing two hits and no walks while earning four strikeouts. Earning her second save, Lauren Mathis pitched the final three innings and did not surrender any hits.

“I thought the staff had a really good game plan coming in and they went out there and just did their thing,” head coach Lu Harris-Champer said. “Along with Mahlena O’Neal behind the plate, I’m really proud of our battery today. Rachele Fico calls a great game and was really on point with her pitch calling today.”

The tight contest was decided on Georgia’s four hits, two of which came from senior Alyssa DiCarlo and the other two from Justice Milz and Mahlena O’Neal.

“I’m really proud of our fight,” Harris-Champer added. “Our team fought their hearts out today. It didn’t go exactly as we planned but we kept scrapping and fighting and found a way to get the job done.”

With the victory, Georgia became the fifth Division I program competing since 1996 to record 1,000 program wins. Of Georgia’s 1,000 wins, 885 have come under Harris-Champer.

“It means a lot for all the players who have been through the program through the years. In 23 years of our program, this is pretty cool and very special and it means a lot to be a part of this.”

The game went scoreless through four complete innings, and both teams left a combined 10 runners on base. Georgia broke the deadlock in the top of the fifth. Alyssa DiCarlo hit a two-out double into the right-center gap. Following the hit, a fielding error by the first baseman allowed Fincher to reach and DiCarlo to score the game’s lone run in the top of the fifth.

The double from DiCarlo was the 50th of her career, and she now ranks fifth all-time at Georgia.

Georgia and Missouri face off in game two of the series Saturday at 3 p.m., ET.