190424_GMA_SoftballVsGeorgiaState0013.jpg

Georgia softball head coach Lu Harris-Champer watches intently during a game against Georgia State on Wednesday, April 24, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeated the Panthers with a score of 5-1. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The No. 13 Georgia softball team lost a low-scoring game in extra innings to the No. 4 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide in the second round of the SEC tournament. A home run to right center field from Skylar Wallace in the bottom of the eighth inning saw Georgia’s SEC championship hopes put to an end.

Although the night ended in elimination, the Bulldog pitching staff found some success against a very potent Crimson Tide offense. Junior Mary Wilson Avant started in the circle and went 3 ⅓ innings, allowing two hits and one run. Alley Cutting then relieved Avant and went 2 ⅔ innings without giving up a run. Finally, senior Kylie Bass entered in the seventh inning and sent the game to extra innings by retiring three straight batters, before giving up the walk-off home run in the eighth.

On offense, Alyssa DiCarlo and Alysen Febrey combined for all four of Georgia’s hits, coming up with a single and double each.

Alabama’s starting pitcher, Montana Fouts, went the full eight innings and maintained a no-hitter going into the fourth inning before DiCarlo snapped it and Febrey drove her in with a double. Besides the fourth inning, the freshman Fouts proved to be tough to hit all night, ending with nine strikeouts.

Alabama tied the game after a troublesome bottom half of the fourth inning for Avant and the Bulldogs. There was a leadoff walk, an error and then Avant hit a batter, leading to a deadlock which was maintained until the decider in the eighth inning.

With the loss, Georgia (40-17) awaits the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on Sunday night with hopes of being one of the 16 host schools for the NCAA Regionals on May 17-19.